Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
I have a computer science class mate who is interested in switching to
Linux, starting small with installing it and dual booting. He fits the
type that should be able to switch easiy: non-hardcore gamer, non
hardcore multimedia.

My question to the list is could you compare and contrast Fedora and
Ubuntu so that I may pass on the information so that he may make a
choice himself?
I have had several people come to me with the same questions. FWIW, here's my two cents (US). For the longest time I've had people (relatives mostly that I'm trying to wean off Windows, just so I can ssh into their systems to fix them without having to make a trip) use the Kubuntu LiveCDs. Since a large portion do come from the Windows world, the KDE interface is a little easier transition for them.

This actually works pretty well since most of the people I'm dealing with have relatively new PCs and easily supported hardware. I have, however, pulled down, but not tried (yet) the FC LiveCD, but I'm hoping to pretty soon. Although I'd like to see a KDE based FC LiveCD as well as a GNOME based one.

As for Ubuntu (any version), my beef (and always will be) has been the binary packages. Apt-get is great. It's the fact it's based on Debian I'm not fond of. As an Admin with 3 Debian boxes, I assure you, if they weren't production systems, they'd all have been blown away with FC or RHEL on them. I've never had as much trouble upgrading packages as I do with Debian based distros.

HTH.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney