Re: Tvtime & Hauppauge Win TV Express problems

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:43 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 01:39, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 22:42 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> > > I think I've broken Tvtime twice. On FC2, and then on Kubuntu.
> > >
> > > The TV tuner card is Hauppauge Win TV Express, and has a Conexant Fusion
> > > 878a chip.
> >
> > Why not try a newer release of the OS?
>
> I have FC5 installed, but it's on the other machine, which is only has a
> 500MHZ cpu, so is unlikely to work. I do have a bit of spare harddrive space
> on the 1.3GHZ machine, so could put FC5 on that. I'm only on dialup, but do
> have all the FC5 updates saved from /var/cache/apt/archives to another drive
> on the same machine, but it means FTP'ing them to the 1.3Gig machine.
>
> The real question is Jeff, is what has gone wrong with Tvtime?  I remove it
> using synaptic from either FC2 or Kubuntu. Now it's gone, and only the
> downloaded RPM, or DEB package remains in /var/cache/apt/archives.  I checked
> for remaining files that hadn't been removed when I uninstalled it, but found
> nothing. In theory I should be able to reinstall it using the rpm, or deb
> that's in /var/cache/apt/archives, and get a new start for Tvtime, just like
> it had never been installed.  Clearly though Tvtime has been interacting with
> other files, so everytime I reinstall it these other files it was interacting
> with are showing Tvtimes display just as it was before I uninstalled it,
> which is some sort of corrupted display.

Did you also delete the ~/.tvtime directory where tvtime shores its
personal configs?  I have 2 files in there, stationlist.xml and
tvtime.xml
It is safe to delete that directory because the first time tvtime is
started it will recreate that one.

And, no I do not have an audio jumper installed for the Wintv Go card in
that machine.
I do have another card (pdhdtv 5500) that uses an audio cable to the
line in on  my sound card in a different machine.

> The card isn't broken, as it still works on that other OS. I even tried
> installing the Win TV 2000 viewer onto wine in FC2. It installed OK, but
> there is a little, or big problem, however you want to view it, with a .dll
> when I try to run it. I've never been too happy with wine. Stuff will work
> that I'm not too bothered with, but the stuff I want to work won't. I'm not
> knocking wine, as it must be one hell of a problem getting Windoze apps to
> work on wine for the wine developers.
>
> Out of interest. Which chip is your Win TV GO using?

I will have to look at that this weekend.

> > I just installed a WinTV Go card on a box with FC5 and TVTime works
> > flawlessly.  I admit that I am in the US and thus using NTSC and not
> > SECAM but that is related to the tuner/driver and not the display.

My point was that with FC5 the drivers for my card are already
available.  With FC2 they are not and you have to jump through hoops to
get everything working.