ripping FAQ

Running FC5, just ran "yum clean all" and "yum update", grip, sound juicer
and lame are installed.  However, I'm having trouble ripping a CD.

The CD automounts, apparently, fine.  Well enough that soundjuicer, when
run, prompts as to which tracks to extract and where.  However, grip, when
asked to either rip or encode, reports that "no tracks have been selected.
 Rip whole CD?", clicking "yes" merely brings up the same dialog.

[thufir@arrakis ~]$
[thufir@arrakis ~]$
[thufir@arrakis ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       reiserfs defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
[thufir@arrakis ~]$
[thufir@arrakis ~]$ date
Wed Sep 20 18:46:17 IST 2006
[thufir@arrakis ~]$

Again, the CD is visible, and I could, if I so chose, copy the .iso to the
hard disc.  However, I can't browse the disc with the file browser (in
gnome).

For lame, under config, encoder, encode, lame, the settings are:

encoder executable        /usr/bin/lame
encoder command line      -h -b %b %w %m
encoder file extension    mp3
encoder file format       ~/mp3/%A/%d/%n.mp3

for sound juicer:

profile name              mp3

profile description       <mp3>

gstream pipeliner         audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame
name=enc ! id3mux

file extension            mp3

When I extract an mp3 with soundjuicer I get an mp3, after a few minutes
of pegged CPU utilization, which XMMS loads but doesn't play.  XMMS plays
other mp3 files fine (which I've put on my mp3 player, too).

I'm more oriented towards sound juicer, as it's at least creating files,
but I imagine that if grip were to read the CD that grip would work fine,
too.

So, any thoughts?

thanks,

Thufir