Re: fc4->fc5 upgrade

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 19:54 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> bruce wrote:
> > hi HS...
> >
> > i tried the following... and got the resulting errors when i try to do a
> > fc4->fc5 upgrade with yum...
> > any idea what to do to resolve these issues...
>
> There might be multiple entries in the rpm database for some programs
> causing the conflicts with yum. You could locate the libraries causing
> the problems, then query the packages with rpm and resolve any issues
> you find for either the complaining package failures or the packages
> which provide the needed libraries.

It's gonna blow up.

> You might also not have a core repo available that is needed for
> resolving the dependency problem. Check your repo files and make sure
> that they were not renamed with rpmnew extensions for repositories you
> might have edited at some point. I had this effect happen since I edited
> the repo files in the past.

It's gonna blow up.

> Those are two of my ideas for possible problems. I've upgraded from FC4
> to FC5 successfully but had to upgrade programs which depended upon
> hotplug in the past before I made much progress with the yum upgrade. I
> see no mention of programs which relied on hotplug, so your problem
> might be a bit different than problems I experienced upgrading via yum.
> Jim

Have your data backed up, somewhere safe. It's exciting to be between
that place where you hit return to start the upgrade and finish the
upgrade. Oh yeah baby, hanging ten, family jewels to the wall and all.
Then something goes wrong. Scramble like mad to fix it, maybe you do!
Maybe you don't! Or, maybe you've fixed it to have it go down on you
again minutes later. It's a walk on the wild side. I took that walk and
it blew up! My old machine will still run, it just takes 5 minutes to
boot is all. Cheers! I suggest a back up and fresh install, every time.
Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256