Re: Tvtime & Hauppauge Win TV Express problems

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 01:39, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 22:42 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> > I think I've broken Tvtime twice. On FC2, and then on Kubuntu.
> >
> > The TV tuner card is Hauppauge Win TV Express, and has a Conexant Fusion
> > 878a chip.
>
> Why not try a newer release of the OS?

I have FC5 installed, but it's on the other machine, which is only has a
500MHZ cpu, so is unlikely to work. I do have a bit of spare harddrive space
on the 1.3GHZ machine, so could put FC5 on that. I'm only on dialup, but do
have all the FC5 updates saved from /var/cache/apt/archives to another drive
on the same machine, but it means FTP'ing them to the 1.3Gig machine.

The real question is Jeff, is what has gone wrong with Tvtime?  I remove it
using synaptic from either FC2 or Kubuntu. Now it's gone, and only the
downloaded RPM, or DEB package remains in /var/cache/apt/archives.  I checked
for remaining files that hadn't been removed when I uninstalled it, but found
nothing. In theory I should be able to reinstall it using the rpm, or deb
that's in /var/cache/apt/archives, and get a new start for Tvtime, just like
it had never been installed.  Clearly though Tvtime has been interacting with
other files, so everytime I reinstall it these other files it was interacting
with are showing Tvtimes display just as it was before I uninstalled it,
which is some sort of corrupted display.

The card isn't broken, as it still works on that other OS. I even tried
installing the Win TV 2000 viewer onto wine in FC2. It installed OK, but
there is a little, or big problem, however you want to view it, with a .dll
when I try to run it. I've never been too happy with wine. Stuff will work
that I'm not too bothered with, but the stuff I want to work won't. I'm not
knocking wine, as it must be one hell of a problem getting Windoze apps to
work on wine for the wine developers.

Out of interest. Which chip is your Win TV GO using?

> [...]
> >
> > I now have a window for Tvtime. I can change the channels using the up
> > and down arrows, and they show up in the title bar, but can only see pink
> > and bluey green horizontal lines. The tab key which should bring up the
> > menu appears to work, but I can't see it. Pressing "q" clears the
> > unviewable menu, and pressing "q" again quits Tvtime.
> >
> > I've removed Tvtime from the system using synaptic, but when I reinstall
> > it I get the same as before I uninstalled it.
> >
> > I'm at a bit of a loss. It would appear that changes that I made in
> > Tvtime's menu options, have made changes in files that have nothing to do
> > with TVtime.
> >
> > Not that it this is much interest on the list, but on Kubuntu, after
> > messing with Tvtimes menu, I now have, when I disable signal detect, a
> > green screen with a very small area (perhaps an eighth of an inch ) of
> > pixel soup at the top of the screen. Enabling signal detect again, brings
> > me back to the default screen, showing "no signal" , channel #'s on the
> > left, and "Television" on the right.
> >
> > /sbin/lspci    (on FC2)
> > 00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
> > Capture (rev 11)
> >         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
> >         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> > ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> > <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> >         Latency: 32 (4000ns min, 10000ns max)
> >         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
> >         Region 0: Memory at e7005000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
> >         Capabilities: <available only to root>
> >
> > 00:0a.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture
> > (rev 11)
> >         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
> >         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> > ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> > <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> >         Latency: 32 (1000ns min, 63750ns max)
> >         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
> >         Region 0: Memory at e7006000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
> >         Capabilities: <available only to root>
> >

> > This is the first part of lsmod, which shows the modules loaded for the
> > Hauppauge card.
> >
> > [djmons@localhost djmons]$ /sbin/lsmod
> >
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> > nls_utf8                2241  0
> > udf                    75589  0
> > tuner                  19821  0
> > tda9887                12889  0
> > tvaudio                20321  0
> > bttv                  150033  0
> > video_buf              21829  1 bttv
> > i2c_algo_bit            8521  1 bttv
> > v4l2_common             5825  1 bttv
> > btcx_risc               4681  1 bttv
> > i2c_core               21057  5 tuner,tda9887,tvaudio,bttv,i2c_algo_bit
> > videodev                9409  1 bttv
> >
> > I'd be happy for any suggestions, including, just go upstairs to watch
> > the TV, but it would be nice to get this card working on something other
> > that Windoze.
> >
> > BTW. On both FC2, and Kubuntu, CPU useage is redlining with TVtime.

Nigel.