Re: forcing overwrite with cp in FC5

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Michael W Cocke wrote:

> I know this must have been covered before, but I can't find it...
>
> How can I get cp to overwrite existing destination files without being
> prompted for every file?  --force doesn't do it, --remove-destination
> doesn't do it (although from reading the man page I would expect
> either one to to work) and --reply=yes complains that it's being
> depreciated.
>
> If the answer is "'you can't", can I get a pointer to the source for
> cp?

Although you didn't say so, you must be trying it as 'root'. When running
as root, RH aliases 'cp' to 'cp -i'. So type 'unalias cp' to unalias it.

You can get the full list of aliased commands by typing 'alias'.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness