Re: hostname doesn't stick

On Sunday 17 September 2006 10:11, Tim wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 09:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> at the tv station, the hosts files are in kilobytes what with
>> probably over 100 machines on several different subnets.  DHCP is
>> nice, but it doesn't lend itself to compiling a list on the wall so
>> you KNOW where 192.168.17.33 is when it goes all aglay from some %$#@
>> winderz virii blasting the network.
>
>Surely someone's made a useful tool for compiling a list out of the DHCP
>leases?  I've seen enough people say that they've wanted one.

That would be handier than sliced bread now that you mention it.  But what
happens if the machine thats running dhcpd is the one being dos'd?

As a solution to keeping all the hosts files uptodate, I believe we have a
master on one of the servers, and thats updated by downloading it from the
rc.local or a crontab entry script if linux, and Jim has rigged a similar
method on the winders boxes.  The Mac's were similar to the linux boxes so
it all stays in synch fairly well, and we have it hanging on the wall
behind Jims desk.  Its saved our collective butts on several occasions,
most notably when the SoBig virii went around like a bad head cold.
Because of the varying usages, we truely have an 'eclectic' combination of
boxes.

>(Waiting to be told, "Don't call me Shirley".)
:-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)