Re: hostname doesn't stick

On Sunday 17 September 2006 02:31, jdow wrote:
>From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Tim:

>> jdow:
>>> Did you do something silly like modify /etc/sysconfig/network? What
>>> does it currently say? It should say:
>>> NETWORKING=yes
>>> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
>>>
>>> If not you did something to modify it and you have localhost being
>>> renamed. Otherwise you may have nasty little spirits camping out
>>> digitally on your machine.
>>
>> Nup, nothing like that.  I've seen quite a few machines that have the
>> machine name inserted there, by the routines that configure the network
>> settings for you on a freshly installed machine.
>>
>> Usually, the first time around, your machine is localhost.localdomain,
>> but sometimes if you've entered a hostname, even if you have a NIC, the
>> hostname is inserted into the local loopback address details.  Usually,
>> *before* the localhost.localdomain details (of all the worst places to
>> do so).
>
>Given what the hosts file is for the ORDER does not matter. But the
>127.0.0.1 line MUST be present.
>
>The hosts file is merely used for looking up names on the local network
>if you do not have the local network defined in an active DNS server.
>
>(With 40 odd (and some even {O,o}) gadgets and computers on the network
>here local DNS AND DHCP really makes it happen.)

Chuckle.  And at the tv station, the hosts files are in kilobytes what with
probably over 100 machines on several different subnets.  DHCP is nice,
but it doesn't lend itself to compiling a list on the wall so you KNOW
where 192.168.17.33 is when it goes all aglay from some %$#@ winderz virii
blasting the network.  Its been worth its weight in bottled beer or sliced
bread many times.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)