Re: hostname doesn't stick

Tim:
>> 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost
>>
>> For some reason, Fedora likes to put the machine name into the 127.0.0.1
>> line, sometimes, despite all the problems that it can cause.

jdow:
> Did you do something silly like modify /etc/sysconfig/network? What
> does it currently say? It should say:
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
>
> If not you did something to modify it and you have localhost being
> renamed. Otherwise you may have nasty little spirits camping out
> digitally on your machine.

Nup, nothing like that.  I've seen quite a few machines that have the
machine name inserted there, by the routines that configure the network
settings for you on a freshly installed machine.

Usually, the first time around, your machine is localhost.localdomain,
but sometimes if you've entered a hostname, even if you have a NIC, the
hostname is inserted into the local loopback address details.  Usually,
*before* the localhost.localdomain details (of all the worst places to
do so).

I read messages from the public lists.