Re: euro symbol on konsole screen

On Saturday 16 September 2006 23:01, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I'm running Fedora-5, with KDE-3.5.4 .
> >> IIRC, AltGr-e used to produce the euro symbol,
> >> but if so it no longer does so.
> >>
> >> Any advice or suggestions gratefully receive.
> >
> > AltGr-4 does it on my UK setup.
>
> I should have mentioned that AltGr-4 just produces a normal 4 on my screen.
>
> In fact the only unusual characters produced by AltGr-anything
> are AltGr-e, which produces a curious looking character
> like a circle in a square, and AltGr-c which produces a cent sign.
>
> I looked at the Euro-Char-Support mini-HOWTO
> at <www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Euro-Char-Support/index.html>
> but found this almost - in fact completely - useless.
>
> It says, for example,
> ----------------------------------
> Check that the file /usr/share/keymaps/include/euro.inc.gz includes lines
>
> altgr keycode  18 = currency
> altgr keycode  46 = cent
> ----------------------------------
> whereas I have no directory /usr/share/keymaps/include
> or indeed any file including euro.inc in its name.
>
> Its complete reference to KDE reads:
> ----------------------------------
> 5.1. KDE
>
> Change the font setting in KControl to ISO-8859-15.
> ----------------------------------
>
> Assuming that KControl is the same as the Control Centre
> I can find nowhere that I could change any font setting to ISO-8859-15.
>
> Surely there must be a short and simple article somewhere
> which explains what to do to get the euro symbol in Fedora?
> I googled for "Fedora euro symbol" but found nothing useful.
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I can't check this out as my Right alt + 4 gives me the € symbol, but someone
mentioned going to KDE's control panel > Regional&Accessibility > Keyboard
layout, then the "Xkb Options" tab. Maximise it otherwise all the options
arn't seen. Someway down the list is a section "3rd level choosers" . It may
be worth checking the "Press right Alt key to choose 3rd level" box, and then
trying again with "Right Alt + 4, or Right Alt + e.

Nigel.