Re: Where are snnbmounts mounted?

On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 08:30 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 01:43:44PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 19:07 -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> > > Now remind me again why GUIs are supposed to be intuitive.
> >
> > Well, you're supposed to have a basic curiosity to find out what you can
> > do with them...  ;-)
> >
> > It always gets me when someone asks how they can do something that's
> > listed in a menu.  They're called a menu for a reason.  You're supposed
> > to look through them to see what you want.  But some people seem to have
> > an objection to doing so.
>
> If that's aimed specifically at my comments, be aware that I did right
> click on the icons in question, and I did examine the menus. As I was
> looking for a way to remove the icons, I looks for text along the
> lines of "Delete This Icon". Perhaps I am dense, but I did not
> consider "Unmount" to include "Delete This Icon".
>
> Since, as another branch of this thread makes clear, the shares are
> never actually mounted, the term "Unmount" in this context is doubly
> misleading: nothing is actually unmounted, and unmounting has nothing
> to do with deleting an icon.

Actually, the icon appears as the filesystem/device is mounted.
Unmounting the device using the menu option removes the icon.
In this context it does not *ever* make sense to remove the icon prior
to unmounting the filesystem.  Doing so would remove the ability to
unmount the filesystem thru the GUI and would force the user to use the
CLI to then unmount the filesystem later, which is even less intuitive.

It may not make a lot of sense in "Windows terms" but mount/umount has
been around as long as *nix has been around and anyone who has even 1/4
of a clue usually finds that very intuitive.

Anyone with a reasonaable amount of curiosity usually wonders "what does
this option do" and then finds out if they try it.  OTOH, those who are
afraid of breaking the system by trying something new are usually
unwilling to learn but have to be led by the hand through the options.