Re: Old Hard Drive

From: "Amadeus W. M." <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Old Hard Drive
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:47:12 -0400

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:58:55 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:

> I have an FC4 install on an old hard drive that has all my config setting on
> it,
>
> My new FC5 install on a new hard drive complete.
>
> How can I mount the old hard drive so I can copy the settings and eventually
> use it for backups?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I'm assuming the file system on your old drive was ext3. I'm
also assuming your new drive is /dev/hda and your old drive is
/dev/hdb.

At a command prompt, make a directory e.g. in your home directory:

mkdir olddrive

then, as root, mount whatever partitions you want from the old drive,
e.g.

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb5 olddrive

To see what partitions you actually have on /dev/hdb, before mounting
anything you run an fdisk on it:

/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb