why Totem?

This is one of those issues, not so important, but nagging. I use Firefox,
latest version, and have mplayer and mplayerplug-in working fairly well.
Every so often, I go to a site, and I want to play a media file, and it
offers options such as Mpg1, Quicktime, WM9 - clicking on WM9 leads to a
download - it looks like the referred-to file is a .wmv extension, but,
instead of opening mplayerplug-in, it starts downloading. After the download,
Totem opens and gives me a message saying I don't have the right codec. So,
my question is, where is that being decided - I
tried 'gnome-default-application-properties' but there was nothing; I tried
about:config in Firefox, but couldn't find anything; I poked through KDE
Control Center - still no. Where and how is Totem being invoked, and why?
Normally, clicking on a .wmv file in Firefox opens the mplayerplug-in window
and after a time, the file plays - why occasionally does this alternative
behavior get invoked? The site I'm experiencing this with is:
http://www.tvwerk.de/# click on the 'Enter Website' button and then click on
the 'Showreel' button when it appears...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA