Re: Triple boot:XP,ubuntu&FC5 grub failed

Hi !

I had sometimes help from installing Smart Boot Manager, it is OS independent and can replace original code at MBR. Remember to use the backup feature first, to be able to
restore old MBR if necessary.
It is a command line utility, that I found from Linux Format Magazine's cover CDs. It does not replace the need of Grub or Lilo, but let's you choose from which harddrive's MBR or
from which partition that has Grub or Lilo or XP you want to boot from.
It can scan for existing MBRs and partitions.

Mikko Silvennoinen

Jim Cornette wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

It really isn't necessary to quote everything which went before.

Saving the basic points.

[*] Well, not *completely* entirely :-) The code in the MBR makes
BIOS service calls to read the disc, and display messages on the
screen, using software interrupt services. But the MBR code is
in the driver's seat, and the BIOS is just a bunch of I/O services
at that point.

Thanks Mike for the explanation.
I was more interested if it was possible to boot from the active partitions instead of installing grub or another program into the master boot record specifically. It works, so I am happy that it is possible. I'll read up on the role of BIOS, the MBR to make the specifics more clear to me.

Jim

Mike

begin:vcard
fn:Mikko Silvennoinen
n:Silvennoinen;Mikko
org:Bittiainen Ltd
adr:48700  KOTKA;;Aijankatu 10 C 27;Kotka;;48700;Finland
email;internet:mikko@xxxxxxxx
title:CEO, Hall. puh.joht.
tel;work:+358 (0)44 517 1260
tel;home:044 517 1260