Re: help getting fc4 working with dual nics and vpn

Replies interwoven:

On 9/13/06, Randy Paries <rtparies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hello,
I have a linux box that is running fc4. It has two nics on it.
One Nic has a public IP

So, this nick is connected directly to the Internet!?!?!

that is locked down tight with IPtables.

This would be wise if it is directly connected to the Internet.

the second nic is connected to a lan with 192.168.0.x ips.

Sounds fairly normal so far.

I have a VPN router that has a public IP that also connects to the
192.168.0.x lan.

Apparently a second device, not internal, connected to the Internet
specifically to route Virtual Private Networking traffic?  Cool.  If I
hear you it has one networking connection (by whatever - DSL - ISDN -
T1) using a public IP and another probably Ethernet connection perhaps
to a switch - which is also connected to your computer?

I am have problems i think with routing.

if my default route on the linux box points to my main router with the
public ip , i can access the linux box via the public IP (if i open up
iptables), but i can not access the linux box via the VPN and the lan
IP.

Sounds like you are attempting a VPN connection to your Linux box?

You say "if my default route on the linux box points to my main router
with the public IP" and then later "but i can not access the linux box
via the VPN and the lan IP".

First things first.  Describe in excruciating detail what it is that
you want to do.  Your system appears to have a lot of redundancy - is
there a reason for that?  What is the purpose of the "VPN Router".
Why do you have one of the NICs connected directly to the Public
Internet?

In networking you must know first what you want to do and why you want
to do it.  Start with a list of what you want to do.

if i change the default route on this linux box to be the VPN router,
i can connect the linux box via the local ip (when logged into the
VPN) , but can not longer connect to the public ip.

i  think i need to add some route statements, but i am not sure what
and i am not a network guy. This actually may be to much over my head.

ANy help would be appreciated

thanks
randy

Randy, if we can help you, we will first need to know what you want to do.

Good Hunting!

Tod