Re: CD/DVD Verify

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Jonathan Allen wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

You could read back the data from the CD device using dd and then
compare what you get back with the original ISO.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I just tried:

  # dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file

and got a clutch of errors like:

  hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
  hdc: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
  ide: failed opcode was: unknown
  end_request: I/O error, dec hdc, sector 1904, 1912, 1920, etc in turn

What does that mean ?  The result produces a file 901120 bytes long, when
the original ISO file is 987136 bytes long, but at least at the front they
look pretty identical to 'od -c'

When the drive is mounted, all the files on the CD seem OK and don't
generate any media errors.

You can try generating MD5 or SHA1 checksums for the files and see if they match.

There is a tool for detecting weak sectors on a burned cd-r, but I cannot remember the name.

k3b has a number of verification features. I usually use that for burning cds/dvds.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink