Re: FC5 & RT

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 10:02 -0400, Jeff Voskamp wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:14 -0400, Jeff Voskamp wrote:
FC6t2 extras has a much newer version of RT - 3.6.1 vs 3.4.5.
Yes, the version in FE6 is ca. 8 months newer, but is incompatible to
3.4.5 - Which is the reason why it is not in FE5 ;)

It does seem to be LSB compliant though.

The only major packaging difference is the FE6 version having moved it's
html pages to /usr/share/* - Whether this qualifies it as more LSB
compliant is arguable. It matches better into FE's preferences, that's
true. Whether switching to this layout for the FE5 variant at this point
in time is good idea is questionable, because it would be a major
changes and is not unlikely to kill customizations users might have
applied.

The main incompatibility however is the db-format being used.
The db-format being used by 3.6.1 is incompatible to 3.4.5, and
automatically converting them is hardly possible through rpm.
db format is compatible, but there is some content to be added on a per user basis - little things like screen layout and default searches. It's easy to tell the post-install script we're updating the package - how do we find out the old version number?

Time to check the few notes I made on the "hand made" upgrade.
Eventually we'll be moving our main RT there, so I should start making notes.

Contributions welcomed.

Ralf
Jeff