Re: Sendmail 8.13.8...has anyone made their own RPMS for FC5?

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

True on the latter. But that has and will always be the case. That is not
the fault of the software, however. In this case, an extra problem is
causing a DOS on top of what you describe above. And if your network is a
victim of an attack based on that, it can be just as costly as a security
flaw allowing a breach of information.

How is it more of a DOS one way than the other?  If I understand
the flaw, you can only crash the sendmail child connected to
yourself which shouldn't have as much impact on anything else
as staying connected would.  It's not particularly desirable
but I don't see how killing a child process that will be
restarted is a big problem.

Is the child always going to restart? If so, then mea culpa. But still, I'd rather have it fixed either way.