Re: block root access to NFS mount

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 14:28 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
Okay, here's a problem I'm running in to. I have an NFS server that is controlled via NIS for which hosts access the NFS mounts. I need to give root access to an NFS client host machine, but /not/ the NFS mounts. Is there any way at all to control this, other than making the NFS mounts read only?

(Yeah I know it's a strange question, but time is pressing and I don't have enough of it to google.) Any help would be appreciated.

It is such a strange question I am not sure I understand it. You have a
NFS server machine which I assume contains the user directories that are
used though NIS and NFS from the clients.

But what is NFS client host machine? How does it fit into the picture?
Yeah, it's a strange situation. I have an NFS server that has exported /home/users. One of the machines (client A) that mounts that NFS share is being handed to another group who needs root access. Because of the fact that we have other user accounts in /home/users I cannot let someone else have root access on Client A. What I want is to be able to keep that NFS mount on Client A, but not let root on Client A access that NFS mount. Does that clear it up a bit? I got another reply mentioning no_root_squash, but I just got in and I'm not yet ready to look into that option, at least not until my fisrt cup of coffee.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator