Re: dual boot with Fedora and NTFS on windows: is it safe ?

On 12/09/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Que wrote:
> When installing dual boot with FAT /FAT32 on the Windows partition, it
> is safe to boot to linux, mount the windows partition (as vfat) , than
> create files on the Windows partition, delete files on the linux
> partition, etc.

I gave up trying to access NTFS from Linux a couple of years ago,
when I found that even *read* access was unreliable (the propaganda
from the rabid Linux supporters notwithstanding). I found that file
names were unreliable, and I do not mean the standard issue of
NTFS being case preserving, but case ignoring. I mean like control
characters getting stuck into file names. Since the file names
were not reliable, I didn't check further into data integrity.

It appears to have progressed since then, and user space tools are
available which makes testing easier.  Still going to be waiting a
while before I ditch my FAT partitions though.

--
imalone