Re: Cause of disappearing mount points in FC5

On 9/8/06, Deepak Shrestha <d88pak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm. Could you do a
> ls -lart /var/log
> just after the mount has gone away. That will show you if there have
> been any log files that have been modified recently. Then please do a
> tail -20 /var/log/messages
> (and similarly for any other files that have been modified recently).

Since I posted this message its not happening. Its very random. I will
try this when it happens.

> At a guess, I'd say that there's either something wrong with the drive,
> something wrong with the cable, or possibly with the motherboard.

I am guessing that it has something to do with drive or cable. My vfat
drive is and old 20GB seagate drive which I just used it as storage of
all sort of temp things, while FC is installed in 7200rpm 40GB drive.
I don't know if mixture of different speed could cause this. By the
way this is dual boot system and widows xp show no such signs and
symptoms which FC has been showing (this is where I got confused
more).

> Out of interest, what are /dev/hda and /dev/hdc? Is there anything else
> on those two IDE channels?

yes I have three drives (1st drive is WIN/FC5 dual boot. one is ntfs
and other is vfat drive) and 1 DVD drive.

Hi all,

I tried chaning my IDE cable but problem persisted. Recently I updated
my BIOS and problem seems to go away. I don't have that behavior now
for few days. I hope this is it but don't know when it will strike
back again.

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions!