Re: Evolution Pain

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 16:38 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> First it reads all the
> messages off the server in a long, slow process. Then it filters them
> into folders. Then, it expunges emails from the server, taking more time
> to do so. Only then can you begin to review your email.

I get around this by having fetchmail (running as a daemon) download
mail from my ISP's POP3 server. Fetchmail sends it to sendmail, which
sends it to spamassassin courtesy of my .procmailrc, then it gets put in
my mailbox (/var/spool/mail/user).

My evolution server type is set to "Local delivery", with spam filtering
turned off (since that's already been done). With the email already
sitting on my harddrive and already spam filtered, mail is "downloaded"
very very quickly. Email gets scanned by spamassassin as it arrives, not
after it is all read, and Evolution will get the mail as it arrives. It
works very well for me.

I don't get the crashes and freezes that have been described here, but
do get some other ones. Most of the time when attempting to send email
(I have Evolution sending directly via smtp) I get the following: "Error
while performing operation. Welcome response error: Transaction failed".
If I hit send/receive a few times it will eventually get sent. This has
only started happening recently.

Another one that has started recently: if I view an HTML message in the
preview pane, the preview pane will sometimes stop working - i.e. if I
click on other messages, it keeps displaying the HTML email in the
preview pane. It also maxes out the CPU while this is happening. I can't
even quite Evolution normally - I have to use "evolution
--force-shutdown".

Those are the two most annoying bugs I am currently experiencing.