Re: Emulating I. E.6

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Jack Gates wrote:

On Sunday 10 September 2006 14:39, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
On Sunday 10 September 2006 13:36, Jack Gates wrote:
On Sunday 10 September 2006 08:00, Tim wrote:
Easy to do:  Serve it XHTML to the full letter of the
specifications, and it can't/won't display it.

Or, for a cheap trick, specify Wingdings as the font face.
MSIE will display gibberish, other systems will use a default
font (if they don't have Windings).  Those systems that display
proper text are the ones that are working properly, by the way.

If anyone has Windows and IE handy go check out my site
http://www.jlgates.com I looked at it on my wife's box.  It is
nothing but gibberish except for one line (by design).

Jack:
While it works as intended in Mozilla, both Konqueror and Opera get
gibberish. -- cmg

Still have the font-family set to Wingdings and the site shows up in a
proper font in Firefox, Konqueror and Opera.  The only browser that
shows an unreadable page is IE.  If any one goes to the site
http://www.jlgates.com with any browser other than IE and can't read
the page let me know what browser.  I am probably going to write the
pages in proper XHTML and change the font-family back to something
normal, but that probably won't happen any time soon.

Because you asked: firefox-1.5.0.6-2.fc5 under FC5 with the webcore-fonts RPM (Microsoft's Web Core Fonts packaged for Fedora from http://avi.alkalay.net/software/webcore-fonts/webcore-fonts-1.3-1.noarch.rpm).

It probably doesn't matter what the browser is, only whether it has the Wingdings font accessible to it. If I uncheck "allow pages to choose their own fonts" in Preferences -> Content-> Fonts -> advanced) it looks OK.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu