Re: Watching CNN video [FC5]???

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 15:09 -0500, Kenny Gow wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > I had the same problem going as well, and it was specifically with the
> > latest Livna and Sourceforge RPMs to boot. I later found that versions
> > of mplayerplug-in after version 3.25 fail with the exact behavior
> > mentioned (at least the ones I tried).
> >
> > Eventually, I rolled back to Tomas Chung's verion -
> > mplayerplug-in-3.25-1.fc5 - that is referred to by Stanley Finton's
> > site. This one seems to work reliably.
> >
> > I assume from this that there is a bug in the newer versions that CNN
> > can't handle (other sites are apparently OK) that is most likely in the
> > upstream Sourceforge code.
>
> I always put "noembed=1" in my mplayerplug-in.conf file so the video
> plays in a separate window. I just tried mplayerplug-in version 3.31
> compiled from source and it worked.
>
> But, when I commented out "noembed=1" to have it play in the same
> window it did not work. Go figure.

I just confirmed the same with the binary RPMs. Version 3.31 from
Sourceforge works only with the noembed=1 feature set. Interestingly
enough, I also verified that Livna's version 3.25-1 also does not work
correctly and exhibits the same behavior as Sourceforge's 3.31.

I then rolled back to Tomas Chung's version 3.25 and verified that it
works with noembed=0 set and plays within the same window.

I had to watch the CNN playback of the Space Shuttle launch a few times
in doing this, but that's OK... :) I don't understand what the issue
could be, but perhaps someone with higher knowledge than I can find it.

By the way, I meant to say Stanton Finley
(http://www.stanton-finley.net) before. I don't know what came over me
to mix that one up...

Cheers,

Chris