Re: UPS ON RS-232 (+) CLOSE TO SUICIDE !!

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 01:00:08AM +0600, SERGIE wrote:
> What do you mean by "redirecting the port"? You think vmware toolboxes which
> start on boot (and got root privileges) might access serial port with no unix
> participation.

VMware Workstation can connect the OS running in a VM to a physical
serial port (as well as many other devices, but we're speaking serial
ports here). You can assign, in the "edit virtual machine settings"
screen a virtual serial port to be attached to a real physical
serial port. Further, once the VM is booted, you can click the VM
menu, then "removable devices" and then select the serial port and
choose "connect" or "disconnect".

I suspect the person who asked about this wanted to know if the phyisical
serial port was or was not in a "connected" state in the windows VM.
I would assume, as did he, that if it IS connected to the VM, that
the LInux system would either not be able to use it at all, or that
it wouldn't work right if it did.

> Strange, but what than I select /dev/ttyS* when configuring the VM machine?
> Just for compatibility?
>
> And tehre is absolutely no problem with permissions - I guarantee.
>
> [sergie@local ~]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Сен 10 00:46 /dev/ttyS0
>
> Here even "nobody" or any other user on the system has access.
> Why kermit says nothing when you looose the UPS power? It must report that AC
> is lost.
> Do you have any more ideas?
>
> > As someone else implied, are you sure vmware does not have ttyS0
> > redirected?? I do not run vmware so I am not sure exactly how that works.
> > Might be best to start the machine with the vmware modules unloaded so that
> > you can be 100% sure vmware does not have the serial port redirected.
> >
> > In addition the serial port MUST have permissions set so that the nut user
> > (not necessarily root) can read and write to the port. When debugging it is
> > best to set the permissions to 666 to be sure that is not your problem.
> > Once you have things talking on the port you can set the permissions as
> > desired.
> >
> > If you follow the directions included with nut you will find step by step
> > instructions for setting it up.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tom

 .----    Fred Smith   /