Re: UPS ON RS-232 (+) CLOSE TO SUICIDE !!

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, SERGIE wrote:

Please help - spent a week 24hr/day, no results. Wouldn't not want anyone me
to suicide? I got fc5.

Windows detects the UPS with no problems, with out any additional settings. On
unix, I use /dev/ttyS0 (this is 100% correct, since windows is run on virtual
machine on the unix box).

So, when I try to use the same software from developer (IPPON, Model Back
Power 500 - "DUMB" UPS), written on Java and works and looks the same as in
windows, it can not detect the UPS (does no see anything) on the /dev/ttyS0,
on which windows within vmware detected it no problem.

I reckon I gotta set up some stop bits, parity and speed on the port.

"setserial" is no longer widely used, to I think "stty" is what I need.

THE QUESTION: what and how do I set up the device so that programs (apcupsd,
nut, vendor's software). And am I on the right way?

Some comments:
* /dev/ttyS0 is rw under the id I work. root's execution does not help either.
* kermit with 9600 connects and nothing received or echoed back.
* Whilst running programs under unix, /dev/ttyS0 is vacant.

Appreciate your help.

As someone else implied, are you sure vmware does not have ttyS0 redirected??
I do not run vmware so I am not sure exactly how that works. Might be best to
start the machine with the vmware modules unloaded so that you can be 100%
sure vmware does not have the serial port redirected.

In addition the serial port MUST have permissions set so that the nut user (not
necessarily root) can read and write to the port. When debugging it is best
to set the permissions to 666 to be sure that is not your problem. Once you
have things talking on the port you can set the permissions as desired.

If you follow the directions included with nut you will find step by step
instructions for setting it up.

Regards,

Tom