Re: stupid dependencies

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Martin Marques wrote:

I was updating one FC5 workstation we have, conected with a wireless AP. I was really shocked when I say that bind was about to be updated.

First I thought that it may not be the named server, but some libs necesary for name resolution, so I tried to remove it.

OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!

evolution, NetworkManager, NetworkManager-glib, etc. will be removed.

Why in earth would any of these packages depende on bind?

# rpm -q --whatrequires bind
bind-config-9.3.2-20.FC5
NetworkManager-0.6.4-1.fc5

I don't see the dependency chain to evolution. NetworkManager wants to use a caching nameserver (generally a good thing to do with a laptop that migrates from network to network[1]), but in fact it doesn't require one anymore. It will use the nameservers provided by DHCP if bind is off.

[1] I once went into Laptop Lane, but I couldn't connect to anything using their network. Turns out they don't provide name servers!

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu