Re: screen resolution

On 9/9/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 02:28 +0100, Thufir wrote:
> I'm just starting to research screen resolution.  I want to safely
> increase my screen resolution, but first need to make notes on how to
> recover, via the fedora rescue CD, in the event things go wrong.
>
> At this point I'm just thinking aloud, but please do chime in!  :)

Once again I am confused. The way I change screen resolution is:
1. switch to a termina [crl-alt-F1]
2. change to init level 3 [ init 3]
3. Use : system-config-display to change resolution [it will adjust
xorg.conf]
4. Change back to init level 5 [init 5]

The screen resolution options available in system-config-display are determined by what's in your xorg.conf.  If your xorg.conf isn't properly set up then you won't be ablet o use that utility to change to your desired resolution whithout making some changes no xorg.conf.

Also, for a one-liner for changing screen resolutions without leaving x, check out xrandr (which has the same limitation as system-config-display I mentioned above)