Re: BASH question

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 15:35 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> | >I hate to tell you this, but dc does fixed point arithmetic, not
> | >floating point.
> | Thank you for the correction, Cameron.  I will use bc instead
> | of dc for floating point calculations from now on!
>
> 1: What's wrong with fixed point? For your purposes, I mean?
> 2: bc certainly used to be a wrapper for dc, so it was fixed point too!

I am confused about this discussion. If numbers with fractional parts are handled it
is doing floating point arithmetic. bc -l does floating point arithmetic. dc and bc
work in such a different fashion it is hard to think one is a wrapper
for the other.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ionsl