Re: HP printer accessible from WindowsXP when using FC5 ??

On Thursday 07 September 2006 20:33, William Case wrote:

> I tried Samba.  That is what took up most of my day yesterday.  I didn't
> mention it in my post because I got it so screwed up.  To set it up as
> you suggest, what information do I need, keeping in mind that I do have
> the home network working for Windows.  Normally I would just go to my
> manuals and experiment a bit.  But I got to tell you, at the moment me
> and Linux are rapidly losing household points.  I have only a few more
> times left that I can bounce her off her computer while I 'fix' the
> printer.

I haven't tried this recently, but I have had Windows boxes printing to my
local printer in the past.  I never got it to work using the driver on the
linux host.  What I did was install the appropriate driver on the Windows
box, set up my printer as an alternative printer, and uncomment the line
in /etc/smb.conf that tells it to use the driver on the Windows box.

One more thing that may be relevant - the users that needed to print to my
printer were set up as users on the host box.

Anne