Re: Debian seems to have forked cdrtools

On Thursday 07 September 2006 07:44, Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Thursday 07 September 2006 02:13, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Hi Gene. Try Alt-Gr+Shift+Colon.  This is with the US intl on KDE,
>> > FC2. It's a dead key, so you'll need to add the vowel you want to add
>> > the umlaut to.
>>
>> That doesn't seem to want to work here, Nigel.  It takes a second
>> keystroke after the first o which has no response, but the second o,
>> while still holding the left alt+left-shift+:, spits out a single
>> uppercase O.  And in kmails composer, that keystroke combo opens the
>> 'options' menu in the composer.
>>
>> I miss my old amiga, it had a valid character for almost any keyboard
>> combo you could think of.
>
>Gene. It's the Right Alt you need to use. On my keyboard this is labelled
>"Alt Gr" .  But carefull about the sequence of the keys.  I'd initially
> tried the combination out in Gedit, and here it doesn't matter if you
> press the Right Alt, and the Shift key at the same time, but in Kmails
> composer I've found you need to press them sequentially.  You need 3
> hands for this by the way!  So the sequence is. Right Alt, then add the
> Shift, then holding both keys down click on the Colon (just once, as if
> you click on it twice you'll see the umlaut, and will have to start
> again).  Right. You've clicked on the Colon.  Now release the Right Alt,
> and the Shift, and click on the "o" , and you should have an ö.

Nope, not here, I get an o. For a rt-alt,rt-shift,: then release all and
type the o, gets a plain o.  Is this a function of dead-keys maybe?  But
I've not found where thats configured here.  No diff if I switch it back
to US from international either.  Or do I need to restart X for that
change to be effected?

Ahh, I found it!  In control center, expand regional and accessability,
click on keyboard layout, Xkb submenu tab on the right, pull down to 3rd
level listings near bottom of list, enable the alt keys to choose 3rd
level, and it works.  Whyinhell wasn't that a default setting?  Boggles
the mind. And, why has the dbl-quote(") now disappeared unless I follow
that multikey proceedure?  Its a level 0 character damnit, utc=0022. And
the single-quote('), commonly used for an apostiphe, code 0027, can only
be typed into the clipboard by KCharSelect and then pasted as I had to do
above.   This is not at all satisfying.  Also, while I have the scroll
lock led set to show alt group, its not working.  And hitting the single
quote twice now gets me an apostiphe (´)  Ok, turn all that stuff back off
and switch to a 105 key international layout, and I still can't do the
umlauts except by copy-paste from the selector.  Grrrrr.

Now I´ve spent another half an hour screwing around with what should be a
simple setting.  Screw it, back to square one for all settings.  And no
single quote is available now.  None.  How can I get that back?  Restart X
maybe?  I´m truely lost here folks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)