Re: Linux Security

On Thursday 07 September 2006 08:12, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 07:51 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I advised my family to buy XP Pro rather than Home, thinking this would
> > make the difference, but it doesn't.  There's still only User, totally
> > locked-down, and Administrator, totally open.
> >
> > I've been told that it's possible to force XP to allow limited rights as
> > in W2K, but no-one has told me how to do it, and I haven't discovered it.
>
> You will want to be careful if you want to use only accounts with
> restricted rights. Some applications will only work as Administrator,
> and if your user's computer needs to join a NT or Active Directory
> domain, sometimes you need to assign Administrator rights to a normal
> user so that things like Antivirus updates or patches can be pushed to
> them when they logon.
>
> With Windows systems, there is nothing quite like having technicians or
> engineers on-call 24/7. And a set of spare laptops/desktops just in
> case.

<sigh>  Since that's not an option on a home LAN I have to rely on trying to
educate them to the risks and setting up firewalling as best I can.  So far,
though, we have kept reasonably clean, over a period of 10 or more years.  Of
course I make sure that they use Mozilla or Firefox rather than IE, and
Mozilla Mail rather than OE.  That enormously reduces the risk.  I also make
sure that they have a good AV product running and properly configured as well
as automatic updates of signatures.

By now, this is OT.  Sorry

Anne