Re: Intel Woodcrest Crash under heavy load with FC5 and MySql

Hi Phil,

Phil Meyer wrote:
Albert Graham wrote:
Hello all (especially the very technical),

The crashes ONLY happen if we enable all 4 Cores in the BIOS (Dual core = enabled)

This makes me wonder. Are you enabling dual core from the mother board? This is not a common option. What is common is enabling and disabling HT on the mother board. With HT enabled and 2 dual core CPUs you should see 8 CPUs in Linux. (I don't know if the 5160 is HT capable).

Some motherboards don't like Hyper Threading with multiple CPUs.

So my question is:  Is Hyper Threading turned off on the mother board?

As far as I can find out, these CPU's don't support HT at all!

However, you maybe on to something here because the "ht" flag is listed in cpiinfo, yet I have been told these cpus support ht.

Thanks phil, I'll investigate this with Supermicro tomorrow.

Albert.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5160  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 3000.653
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6009.77

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5160  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 3000.653
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6000.65

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5160  @ 3.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 3000.653
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 3
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 6000.70

processor       : 3
[...]
bogomips        : 6000.73