Re: Got bad sector on HDD in XFS partition, any utility to mark it bad/recover it like seatools does?

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 16:26:29 +0100,
  Vijay Gill <vijay.s.gill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Tony, that cleared a lot about smarttools also a lot. I always
> used to wonder about how smarttools can be used to fix a hdd bad
> sector. Now I learned from your mail that just writing to the bad area
> of the disk will fix it because disks are intelligent enough these
> days. smarttools is used for just diagnosis purposes.
> Also I am goinng to put
> smartctl --smart=on --offlineauto=on --saveauto=on /dev/hda in my
> /etc/rc.local.

You should be running the smartd deamon to do this instead of adding stuff
to rc.local for it. If smartmontools is installed, you can edit the list
of disk drives to scan in /etc/smartd.conf and turn on the smartd service
using chkconfig or the GUI for system services.