Re: Linux Security

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 16:49:55 -0700,
  Tod Merley <todbot88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is that really true??  How do we know?? "Bot" makers love this
> attitude!  It keeps them alive!!!

Linux systems aren't immune from being hacked. Local root exploits are
fairly common and those combined with a remotely accessible application
being hacked can get your system owned by someone else.

Also in the unix world we have been better about separating data from code
and for using simpler programs for handling untrusted data. But this is
starting to change. Graphical desktops are confusing running code with
looking at data. People are having their mail readers call a web browser
to handle displaying of html parts of email messages without specific
user intervention. The difference is that in the Windows world they don't
even think this is a problem. We are at least discussing things, but the
future isn't looking good.

I think that replacing Windows with Linux on normal people's desktops isn't
going to put that big of a dent in the number of bots unless we can also
change people's habits at the same time; which seems unlikely.

I think to make a dent in bots, we need to get ISPs to get hard nosed with
their customers whose machines are hosting them. Apparently at this time
it must be cheaper to eat the network costs and compaint headaches rather
than annoy paying customers by cutting them off or spending a lot of support
time to help people repeatedly clean up their machines. Unless something
changes the relative costs involved, the situation will continue like it
is now. Unfortunately as a side effect of this is that it makes blacklisting
spam sources by IP address a lot more difficult.