Re: Spam on the Rise. Any new tips?

From: "alan" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Thom Paine wrote:

I've been noticing that the config I had been using for aboutthe past
year is slowly becoming less effective against spam.

I'm currently using half a dozen or so bl's along with spam assassin.

I'm sure other people are either keeping up, or finding ways to keep
spam at bay.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I read about turning on a two minute wait time on your mail server and
was wondering if that helps.

I can post parts of my sendmail.cf file if that would be helpful.

Greylisting has worked pretty well for me.  Cut about 90% of my spam load.

I had to cut out most of my blocklists due to valid domains that had been "poisoned" by someone. (They took domains they did not like and claimed they were spammers. Most of them domains hosting Linux mailing lists.)

Use them with a scoring system like SpamAssassin or abandon them. I do
not have a false alarm problem with basically the 3.1.4 SA default BL
selections. The bad blocklists have low scores - they are marginally
useful. The good (low false alarms) blocklists have higher scores.

{^_^}