Re: installed CPAN but application still doesn't work

> From: jim martin <postfix168@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: installed CPAN but application still doesn't work
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi.. I am install a application called swatch and it required CPAN to be installed.  I got this
> message
>
> [root@wa swatch-3.2.1]# perl Makefile.PL
> Warning: prerequisite Date::Calc 0 not found.
> Warning: prerequisite Date::Format 0 not found.
> Warning: prerequisite File::Tail 0 not found.
> Writing Makefile for swatch
>
> In the swatch documentation it states
. . . .
> Any body can help ?  Is that because I had ran "make" before CPAN is installed that I need to
> unmake and run again ?  Or Is there anything that I missed out in CPAN installation ?
>
> What is Date::Calc 0, Date::Format 0, File::Tail 0 not found mean ??

What you ran is called the "CPAN shell".  It lets you find, install, and
update Perl modules.  When you install a package from CPAN, you actually
download the source code, create a custom makefile, build it, test it,
and install it in the "right" place on your system.

Before you use CPAN for the first time, you must configure it
(information goes into a .cpan directory under your home by default, as
I recall).  When you do this, you have a choice to have the CPAN shell
ignore missing dependencies, "follow" and install them automatically, or
ask you each time.  It sounds like you want the CPAN shell to follow
dependencies.

It looks like the Date::Calc, Date::Format and File::Tail modules are
missing and must be installed before Swatch is going to "make".  Use
CPAN to install those modules (as I think others have mentioned) and
then you should be able to complete the make.

Erik