From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tod Merley
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:40 AM
To: tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Re-installing FC5

On 9/4/06, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tod Merley wrote:
>
> > I like fresh installs for several reasons:
> >
> > 1. They tend to be "about as stable as it gets" about one month after
> > the release.  Do the install, do the updates, do the updates when
> > things look kind of quiet and backup just in case.
>
> There is something to be said for fresh installs,
> and something to be said for upgrades.
> (The main advantage of upgrades is that you do not have to re-enter
> information about your system.)
>
> In my experience, upgrades and installs of Fedora
> are both completely "stable".
>
> > 2. I just listened to part of a symposium on computer security.  It
> > really is possible and occurs more often than we know (people who get
> > hit tend not to talk) that computers are made into "bot" networks.  To
> > completely "flush" a computer of it's operating system and all other
> > areas and leave only the "data that I really need now" makes us a lot
> > more of a "moving target" for those who would try to take our
> > computers as theirs!  I like that idea!!
>
> That verges on paranoia, in my view.
> I'm not sure what a "bot network" is,
> but I would have thought it was fairly easy to construct a firewall
> which prevents your computer being taken over.
>
> > 1. Grab the flash drive (if the computer has not a CD burner) and move
> > the "data - usable) contents of my home and Desktop directories.  I
> > tend to fill a CD so I may well include /etc (or part of it at least),
> > by boot directory (grub backup - grub config files often useful).
>
> How do you know which files in /etc to copy to your new system?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
>
> --

Hi again Timothy Murphy!

The "bots" mentioned are networks of "zombie" computers created by
obtaining the ability to install your applications on the computer
(root kits an examble).  The ones reviewed shut down the computers of
a local hospital (DOS even for the bots trying to find more prey!),
thousands of military computers, a CA school system etc..  The ones
who control the "bots" can make them do basically whatever.

I will try to remember to send you a link (little time now).

I copy such things as /etc for reference.  I would only use a file
from an old /etc to tell me how to make one in my new /etc work.

Cheers!

Tod