Re: Comments on FC5 installs "hanging"

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 12:39 -0700, alan wrote:
> The motherboard is an Intel P4 3ghz hyperthread.  (Actually made by
> Intel.) I don't have the model number at the moment.  (It would
> require opening it up.)

The "dmidecode" command is useful for finding out information like that.

> What is weird is that the BIOS reports "legacy keyboard" even if I
> have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in.

Shouldn't that be the case (PS/2 - legacy, USB - new style)?

> (And it works with the bios screen, so it knows how to use it until it
> hits grub.)

I've seen some darn peculiar behaviours with PCs that are set in the
BIOS to use PS/2 keyboards, yet the owner only has a USB keyboard.
Sometimes the BIOS is accessible, with the BIOS emulating PS/2, but once
you boot a PC it's no longer emulating a PS/2 keyboard, the OS uses an
USB keyboard as an USB keyboard.  Othertimes the BIOS is inaccessible.

I wish they'd get their act together, they've been around for quite some
time.

I read messages from the public lists.