automounting usb hardrive on bootup?

I have an external usb hard drive. When I login using gnome it appears in "Places" in the "Computer" icon but it doesn't appear to automount itself to the file system because in I have it as an Samba share and it is only available to Samba connections to the device until after someone tries to use it locally from the server itself. How do I get it to automount itself to the server on bootup, and further, how do I limit access to only the root account or people in the root group?

--
just ferindo