Re: MS Windows through QEMU

On Friday 01 September 2006 11:34, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:42 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > Jack Gates wrote:
> > > What does this mean and what should I do with it?
> > >
> > > Could not configure '/dev/rtc' to have a 1024 Hz timer. This is
> > > not a fatal
> > > error, but for better emulation accuracy either use a 2.6 host
> > > Linux kernel or
> > > type 'echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq' as root.
> > > Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not
> > > activated
> >
> > Have you tried doing what it suggests?
> >
> > # echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
> >
> > If that works for you, you'll probably want to add the command to
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local so that it gets set at boot time.
>
> ----
> just out of curiosity...wouldn't it make more sense to put
>
> dev.rtc.max-user-freq = 1024
>
> into /etc/sysctl.conf instead?

I don't understand what the above means or what it will do.

Also, I have done this as described here
http://kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/QuickStartGuide

qemu-img create -f qcow c.img 3G

qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda c.img -m 256 -boot d

MS Windows installed, I exited and did this

qemu -hda c.img -m 256

now I get this without the VM starting:

QEMU PC emulator version 0.8.1, Copyright (c) 2003-2005 Fabrice
Bellard
usage: qemu [options] [disk_image]

'disk_image' is a raw hard image image for IDE hard disk 0

Standard options:
-M machine      select emulated machine (-M ? for list)
-fda/-fdb file  use 'file' as floppy disk 0/1 image
-hda/-hdb file  use 'file' as IDE hard disk 0/1 image
-hdc/-hdd file  use 'file' as IDE hard disk 2/3 image
-cdrom file     use 'file' as IDE cdrom image (cdrom is ide1 master)
-boot [a|c|d]   boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
-snapshot       write to temporary files instead of disk image files
-m megs         set virtual RAM size to megs MB [default=128]
-smp n          set the number of CPUs to 'n' [default=1]
-nographic      disable graphical output and redirect serial I/Os to
console
-k language     use keyboard layout (for example "fr" for French)
-audio-help     print list of audio drivers and their options
-soundhw c1,... enable audio support
                and only specified sound cards (comma separated list)
                use -soundhw ? to get the list of supported cards
                use -soundhw all to enable all of them
-localtime      set the real time clock to local time [default=utc]
-full-screen    start in full screen
-win2k-hack     use it when installing Windows 2000 to avoid a disk
full bug
-usb            enable the USB driver (will be the default soon)
-usbdevice name add the host or guest USB device 'name'

Network options:
-net nic[,vlan=n][,macaddr=addr][,model=type]
                create a new Network Interface Card and connect it to
VLAN 'n'
-net user[,vlan=n][,hostname=host]
                connect the user mode network stack to VLAN 'n' and
send
                hostname 'host' to DHCP clients
-net tap[,vlan=n][,fd=h][,ifname=name][,script=file]
                connect the host TAP network interface to VLAN 'n' and
use
                the network script 'file' (default=/etc/qemu-ifup);
                use 'fd=h' to connect to an already opened TAP
interface
-net socket[,vlan=n][,fd=h][,listen=[host]:port][,connect=host:port]
                connect the vlan 'n' to another VLAN using a socket
connection
-net socket[,vlan=n][,fd=h][,mcast=maddr:port]
                connect the vlan 'n' to multicast maddr and port
-net none       use it alone to have zero network devices; if no -net
option
                is provided, the default is '-net nic -net user'

-tftp prefix    allow tftp access to files starting with prefix [-net
user]
-smb dir        allow SMB access to files in 'dir' [-net user]
-redir [tcp|udp]:host-port:[guest-host]:guest-port
                redirect TCP or UDP connections from host to guest
[-net user]

Linux boot specific:
-kernel bzImage use 'bzImage' as kernel image
-append cmdline use 'cmdline' as kernel command line
-initrd file    use 'file' as initial ram disk

Debug/Expert options:
-monitor dev    redirect the monitor to char device 'dev'
-serial dev     redirect the serial port to char device 'dev'
-parallel dev   redirect the parallel port to char device 'dev'
-pidfile file   Write PID to 'file'
-S              freeze CPU at startup (use 'c' to start execution)
-s              wait gdb connection to port 1234
-p port         change gdb connection port
-d item1,...    output log to /tmp/qemu.log (use -d ? for a list of
log items)
-hdachs c,h,s[,t]  force hard disk 0 physical geometry and the
optional BIOS
                translation (t=none or lba) (usually qemu can guess
them)
-L path         set the directory for the BIOS and VGA BIOS
-no-kqemu       disable KQEMU kernel module usage
-std-vga        simulate a standard VGA card with VESA Bochs
Extensions
                (default is CL-GD5446 PCI VGA)
-loadvm file    start right away with a saved state (loadvm in
monitor)
-vnc display    start a VNC server on display

During emulation, the following keys are useful:
ctrl-alt-f      toggle full screen
ctrl-alt-n      switch to virtual console 'n'
ctrl-alt        toggle mouse and keyboard grab

When using -nographic, press 'ctrl-a h' to get some help.

so what is missing or what am I doing wrong?

--
Jack Gates http://www.morningstarcom.net