Re: Kernel panic after FC2->FC5

Jack Howarth <howarth <at> bromo.msbb.uc.edu> writes:
>     Today we tried updating an i386 Fedora Core 2
> workstation to Fedora Core 5. The upgrade install
> completed without complaint until we rebooted the
> machine. At that point I got a kernel panic with
> the message...
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.

Maybe try booting with selinux=0? You probably have screwed up selinux labels
due to the upgrade, so you need to relabel before being able to use selinux
again (running a relabel from the rescue disk could also help). At least that's
what I ran into when upgrading FC2->FC5 (but I also used selinux=0 during the
upgrade because it wasn't working without for some reason, probably either bad
labels or lack of RAM on my hardware, so having screwed up selinux labels was
to be expected in my case).

Upgrades skipping Fedora releases aren't really well-tested. Rawhide testers
are usually asked to test upgrades from the previous release only, not from
earlier ones (nor from test releases, but they do that anyway ;-) ).

        Kevin Kofler