Re: Fedora(rawhide) and XFCE 4.4 beta 2

Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
I bit the bullet and installed Xfce 4.4 beta 2
(xfce4-4.3.90.2-installer.bin) on my rawhide system.  I installed it
to /usr/local thinking that putting /usr/local/bin on my PATH variable
before /usr/bin would cause the beta2 executables to run before any
yum installed (fedora-extras-development.repo) Xfce 4.2 executables
(/usr/bin) so my first question is: was/is this wishful thinking (that
I could have both 4.4 beta 2 and 4.2 installed to the same system and
not encounter serious issues)?

For the record, if the stored session has Xfce 4.2 cruft in it there could be strange behavior, such as #1 below. There is probably a lot more. This issue goes away, of course, when the Fedora team updates to Xfce4.4.

I am running a dual head configuration (individual displays rather
than xinerama).  There are two issues that pop up immediately that I
need to solve:

1) there is a bar across the top of both displays that appears to be
an orphaned panel, i.e. I cannot get rid of it (the original panel
that was at the top has been moved to the bottom of screen 0 and works
just fine there.

This was due to a stored session request to start xftaskbar4, which I'm guessing is not used on Xfce 4.4 since killing the process, saving and restarting the session cured the problem.

2) I cannot seem to use the settings->panel manager dialog to
accomplish much with the second display.  When I click on the box
representing the second display the dialog disappears along with all
the applications running in the fist display.  I will need to repeat
this a few more times before I can accurately describe what is really
going on, so this description represents my first take.

Flailing away at this issue yielded positive results, i.e. I was able to get 4 panels running: 2 on the first display and 2 on the second display. The xfce4-panel program did die. When I'm running on a more "standard" configuration I'll file a bug report against xfce4-panel with more details.

-pmr