Re: What is the language "British"?

On Monday 28 August 2006 10:25, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Duncan Anderson wrote:
> > On Monday, 28 August 2006 15:25, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> I was installing FC-5 yesterday,
> >> and I noticed that when asked to choose my language,
> >> I was given an extensive list which included "British" but not
> >> "English".
> >>
> >> I never heard this language described as "British" before.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Presumably, they mean "British English" as opposed to "American English".
> > What about other forms of "non-American" English?
>
> I don't think that was the case here (during FC-5 installation).
> No other versions of English, such as US-English, were offered;
> British was the only English-like language on offer.
>
> Incidentally, the whole language-keyboard setting seemed very confusing.
> I wanted to choose a UK keyboard (as opposed to US)
> but with the euro in place of the pound.
> When I chose "Irish" keyboard it assumed I wanted to write in Gaelic.

Timothy:
Earlier this evening I was installing Zenwalk as an alternate distribution,
and among the multitude of choices for locale was "English locale for Ireland
with Euro".  Incidentally, the keyboard mapping had already been set. Oh
yeah, they referred to all variants of English as "English".

-- cmg