Re: "Suspend" on Dell Precision M70: ANYBODY have it working in FC5?

Charles Curley
: On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 11:09:38AM -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
: >
: > If so I'd like to hear from you.
: >
: > I will shortly be installing FC5 on my M70 which I have
: > not been able to effectively use because of lack of Suspend.
: >
: > I don't care if it is "to disk" or "to memory". As long as I can
: > put the thing to sleep (with  X running) and come back and have
: > all the many things I had going on still going on, I'll be happy.
:
: Have you checked http://tuxmobil.org/ or
: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/? Is there a support page, official or
: otherwise, for Linux on Dell laptops?

Hi Charles, all.

Oh yes. There's lots of refs to the M70 in those pages.  Few mention
suspend.  (It does not seem to be something that lots of people care
about.  For me it is crucial.)

The suspend problems for the M70 have a long, twisted, and painful
history.  There's even a fellow on the internet (works for Mozilla)
who had, as of last November, planned to offer a bounty to anyone who
got it working.

     <http://blog.vlad1.com/archives/2005/11/01/75/>

If it is fixed it would only be with kernels after 2.6.13---which is
why most of the pages that mention it say it does not work; They were
written before 2.6.13.

Like rumours of El Dorado, one hears of "solutions" using later
kernels but when they are chased down they turn out to be vapour.

But I have not checked things out for 6 months or so, so I thought
I'd ask here.  Were someone tell me he has it working under FC5 I would
be THRILLED.

Dean