Nautilus cannot display windows network?

I have a network of 5 computers which has been working fine until recently. I have one FC5 box setup as a samba server, and there are 4 other boxes using Windows XP or 98.

Findsmb displays all the computers on the network, and the windows machines can access the shared files/folders, and can print through the FC box, but when I try to browse the network in Gnome, be it through "places>Network Servers>Windows Network>workgroup, or through
the other gnome network tools, I get the following message:

The folder contents could not be displayed.

Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: workgroup".

Somehow one of the system updates in the last few days, has mangled things, and I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot it. I have tried google, but so far haven't been
able to find anything relevant.

I can ping the various boxes, but for some reason Nautilus cannot view them.
I have the same trouble as user and as root.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt@xxxxxxxxx

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia