Re: Seven Percent

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:53:12 +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> Results from the 2006 Desktop Linux Survey
>
> 15,000 voters... still, self-selected.  Anyway -->
>
> ''...
> Ubuntu, with 29.2 percent of the vote, has been the hottest community
> Linux since early 2005. While this Linux has had its problems lately,
> such as the update fiasco on August 21st and 22nd, users continue to
> download, install, and love it.
>
> And, why not? It's an excellent distribution. It's not just users who
> think this; reviewers have also labeled it the Desktop Linux Champ.

I'll never understand what Ubuntu has that other distributions
don't. I've never seen a head to head comparison between Ubuntu,
and FC, say. Yes, there's critics and users reviews but they
don't compare Ubuntu to anything else. Overall it's their subjective
"it felt good" or "I liked that feature", but that doesn't do it
for me. I'd like to see what's unique in Ubuntu, that I might
have a use for. Is Ubuntu more stable? Is it faster? Does it
have better hardware detection? Does it have a different update
policy?

Mind you, I'm not criticizing Ubuntu or any other distribution.
I'm not against rankings either, afterall I'd like to use the
best distribution. It's the objectivity of these reviews (and rankings)
that I'm questioning. If we are to judge by the number of users,
then Windows must be the best operating system ever, isn't it?