Re: Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Jim Cornette wrote:
Chris Mohler wrote:
I recently purchased a Dell with preloaded XP.  This is roughly what I
needed to do:

1 - contact the manufacturer, and *insist* that since I purchased
Windows XP, that I am entitled to an installation CD (I am).  They
eventually gave in.

2 - remove all partitions (including the Dell "restore partition"),
install windows from the CD -  partition/format a suitible place for
XP to live, and leave the rest as free space.

3 - install fedora.

This might seem like a lot of work, but the XP system that Dell
pre-loaded was so full of bloatware that it was almost unuseable.
Something would pop up every 15 seconds, and heavy-duty apps (blender,
games, etc) crawled.  The "fresh" XP was (subjectively) twice as fast
as the preloaded system.

Just my 2 cents...
Chris

If you want to use Norton ghost, you could make an image of your XP installation. Then you could use the ghost image and adjust the XP partition downward. I did this for a work computer and FC6T2 installed fine on the freed up space. This allowed also for noth having the headache of de-fragmenting, resizing and the like for XP and the auxiliary partition. You also have a reliable backup in case the hard disk crashes. You do not need to reinstall all of the service packs for all the M$ OS and other software again either. This was on a Dell computer.

Since you are planning to use the second drive for Linux and the first drive as XP, it might not be needed.
It might not be needed but it sounds desirable to me other than
that I would probably have to buy a copy of the Norton Ghost
application, a Windows program I would have little need for beyond
this instance most likely.  I will look into that ...

Thanks.

BobG

Jim