Re: Flash player for Linux (WAS: Re: The silly mess with Firefox 1.5.0.4's Flash plugin)

Steven Pasternak wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:

Anyway, I'm ashamed to inform a kid that Windows can go to this site but Linux cannot. Hopefully a genuine Flash 9 version hits Linux soon. I don't want the kids corrupted into using windows.

Jim

I agree that windows is corruption, but if a website is something that you CAN'T live without, just use wine to install firefox and flash 9. It works Just as good as under linux. I seem to recall having some ugly fonts to start with, so just play around with the firefox preferences (specifically tools>options>content>advanced) and use the Arial font instead of Times New Roman. If you REALLY want to fool somebody, you can install a firefox theme (noia and phoenity are my favorites) and put a simple bash script in you $HOME/bin (or anywhere else, just make sure that it is the FIRST entry in the $PATH variable) that looks like this:
#!/bin/bash
wine $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program\ Files/Mozilla\ Firefox/firefox.exe $@

Now the firefox in the Kmenu (or the applications menu in GNOME) will run the wine firefox instead of the native one. Test it with something like 'firefox kde.org' to see if it works. Now nobody can tell the difference. I don't know if wine does sound without using winecfg first, so you might have to do that, too. For things like embedded video, just use a native linux browser because WMP and Quicktime don't do great under wine (and I never tried it with wine firefox either ;-)
Hope you find some of this useful!
-Steven

Thanks for the tip. I have this really old windows version mahjong's game which the wife, daughter and granddaughter like to play. It runs fine in wine but does not create a desktop icon. Your suggestions will help with getting this game to show an ICON for their ease of usage.

Regarding Disney, I would not want to emulate a program that is available for Linux just to run Flash 9. There should already be a Linux version of Flash 9 available. I might try it for the visual effect or for the TNT and "The Closer" website goodies.

Thanks,
Jim

--
It's really quite a simple choice: Life, Death, or Los Angeles.