fdisk "unable to open" /dev/hdb

Hi folks,

My wife's hard disk stopped booting, and her backup is corrupt.  (of course)

I took the disk and put it as a slave (/dev/hdb) in a linux machine.  Booted up.  fdisk reported that it is "unable to open" the drive.  Now this is weird.  The bios reports that the drive is there when I power on.  This is a different error than a missing disk, that error is "unable to read".  Anyone have any idea what type of failure I have on the disk and how to read it to recover data?

Many, many thanks,

Mark